Monday, July 15, 2013

Close... Part 1

The idea for the Close project started last fall when I was film testing with natural light in my studio.  I shot a few rolls of my friend Lisa, we had a few laughs and went on our merry way.  When I saw the negatives the following day I knew that this would be my next portrait project.  I had been working on a Polaroid series of female artists for the past four or five years and finally came to the conclusion that it was going be difficult to find 4x5 expired polaroid film without breaking the bank.  I decided to continue the female artists theme using my twin lens camera and a bunch of black & white film... 
Thus started the "Close" project.

Many of my projects this year are leaning towards traditional, historical and alternative photography.  I realized a few years ago that I missed getting my hands dirty, smelly chemicals and film hanging in my bathroom. These projects are my personal rebellion against sitting in front of my computer for hours editing, converting, retouching, and adding cool presets to my images.  

This project is stripped down, straight forward, and non-hipster.
This is my photography, this is my art.

-MSL



Lisa Geertsen, Blacksmith


Gail Howard, Painter


Kathy Liao, Painter


No comments:

Post a Comment